Tuesday, July 15, 2008

What we've been up to...

This is somewhat of a random post, but I wanted to share some of the things we've been up to lately. And I apologize for things being so out of order as I try to get you all up to date on our life down here is "paradise." :)

Fourth of July: Dominica-Style
I know I mentioned seeing the fireworks in San Juan, but we really did get to do more than that to celebrate the fourth of July! First off, holidays down here just down feel as special as they do back home. I don't really know what July 4th "feels like" but it definitely didn't feel like a special day down here. (Even though I was wearing an all red, white and blue outfit - hey, it's was patriotic and fashionable!) Nevertheless, we still celebrated. RCF held a cookout for the whole campus. While Kyle was coaching the 1st semester football team (sadly, not to victory), Ashley and I were working the condiment table at the cookout. By the end out the night, the table turned into one big mess of ketchup, mustard and pickles. But hey, we had fun and the students really appreciate having a great dinner and being served!

My Husband: The Smarty Pants
We also recently attended the Dean's Reception to celebrate Kyle's grades last semester. Since most of the people who are in 5th semester went to Miami, barely any people were there to accept their awards from Kyle's class. Actually there were only three! The taller of the three is also named Kyle, and when they played football together, he was Big Kyle and my Kyle was Small Kyle.

I got to meet a few of Kyle's professors, who inquired if I was also planning on attending medical school. I tried my best not to laugh. I don't know if they would appreciate my dreams to open up a cake business or bakery as much. But hey, they wouldn't be laughing when they tasted our delicious bread or cakes....

My Latest Creations

I really am going to miss all the time I have down here once we move home. We may have to -gasp - buy our bread from the store instead of making it! But I have really enjoyed baking and decorating cakes and would love to take cake classes at some point. The cake below is one we made for our friend Krista. She planned a surprise birthday party for her husband Josh, so we made the cake for her. It was my first attempt at fondant, which wasn't as hard to work with as I thought! (Though I only did a small part of the cake with the fondant, and not the whole thing!)

Also, Ashley and Ryan's 2nd Anniversary was on July 8th. After making Courtney and Andy's cake, Ashley mentioned it would be fun to try to replicate their wedding cake. Well, with all the the baking and cooking she did for my birthday, I don't think she had time to do much else! So I got out Grandmere's Roll Cookie recipe, and decide to duplicate their cake design on the cookies. They turned out really cute and I was happy Ryan and Ashley liked them, too!

2 comments:

Krista said...

The cake was great!! It inspired me to make one for our friend's birthday. I think I like making cake more than baking bread. The bowl tastes better!!

Anonymous said...

Cookies looked great and I was thrilled to see you used my recipe. You are so clever Andrea! You have become quite a baker! Love, Grandmere