Wednesday, June 18, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ASHLEY!!!


Today is Ashley's 26th birthday!! We celebrated a little early, since the Mini was on Monday night and people were ready to take a break. I spent the entire day before we went to dinner making Ashley's cake. We already exchanged presents at the beginning of the semester (we couldn't wait to give them to each other!) so we decided we would both make each other's cakes. Well, since we've had the decorating kit, we have been stepping up our cake & cupcake-decorating skills! So I searched online for some fun ideas, and was set to bake the cake!

I was planning on making a 2-layer round cake, but as I started baking, I figured it should be a little bigger. Well, I ended up with a 4-layer chocolate cake that wouldn't even fit in my cake carrier! I had a lot of fun decorating, and finally found icing recipes that won't melt down here!


I had Ashley come see the cake before we left, because we had about a 30 minute ride to the restaurant, and knowing the drivers down here, and the roads, I was picturing my cake toppled over by the time we got there!

But as we got to the restaurant, Sunsets, the cake was all in one piece, thank goodness!! Kyle and I had never been to Sunsets, but it was so nice, and the food was delicious! It may even be better than Blue Bay. So after dinner, the owner of the restaurant had a "special song" for Ashley - a somewhat Opera version of Happy Birthday... and he even came over a planted a few kisses on her cheek!

We had a great night celebrating with Ashley! And today, we're both celebrating again by making bread :)


3 comments:

Kelly said...

I am incredibly impressed at your cake-decorating skills! Will you teach me what you've learned sometime when you're back in the states? :-D

Ashley said...

Thank you so much for making me the most beautiful cake ever! I am so, so blessed by your friendship. I can't believe we're not going to be neighbors in a couple of months. :( Just so you know, I'm going to cry like a baby every time I drive by your trail next semester!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh Girl!! That cake is so cute ! I love the cupcakes too! Please bake for us when you get home!!!