Thursday, March 13, 2008

Big News...

Some of you may have received Kyle's "Flash Update" e-mail, but for those who didn't, we wanted to share some big news with you. And as Kyle said in his message, no I'm not pregnant :)

I actually laughed when I looked at the prayer requests I put up just this past weekend - especially the one about 5th semester. I can't tell you how excited we were that it was time to apply to Michigan, and that finally, we were almost done with this semester and done living on the island! But the point of the prayer request was for discernment not to be accepted into the program, and that even if we were accepted to Michigan, we wouldn't say "yes" until we thoughtfully and prayerfully considered it, and also considered our other locations... OK... I'm laughing again.... (I included Dominica and Miami in there, but I still thought, why am I even writing these? Funny how God works...)

Well, for those who prayed, it worked. On Monday, I just started to feel like maybe we should rethink this whole 5th semester in Michigan. I have no idea where this came from, because even when friends (especially Ashley!) joked around about us staying here, I brushed it aside, thinking no way, we're going to Michigan. Well, at dinner that night Kyle and I talked about if going to Michigan or staying in Dominica would be best. Now, I know some may think that "feelings" aren't much to make a decision on, but as we started to look at the pros and cons, it all started to make sense. Here are some of our thoughts:

- Pros for Michigan: It's a smaller program, closer to both of our families. Though the job market isn't great there, I could have some kind of job or start looking into going back to school. There is the potential to start a 2-year rotation program there in September, so it wouldn't be bad to get to know the facility and doctors if we did end up there. The luxuries of the good ol' U. S. of A. wouldn't hurt either. :)

-Cons for Michigan: We would have to move, and take on all the responsibilities that come along with that, in about a month time-period. And, more than likely, we would only be living there for 3-4 months. Before the semester started, Kyle would have to study for his Comp (a test you have to pass before taking the Step 1 at the end of 5th), right in the middle of us moving and getting settled in. The program in Michigan is very different than what we expected, because it provides minimal time shadowing doctors in the hospital and more class time.

-Pros for Dominica: Dominica has slowly become home to the two of us - we have friends here, our church (RCF), and I even co-own a business! We have our apartment here, and cost of living is less than the US. There are less distractions for Kyle, so more time to study. The program is highly recommended for its emphasis on hands-on participation (which would probably not be allowed in the US), as well as ample time to study for the Step. Also, a majority of Kyle's friends will be staying here. And we didn't even have plane tickets home :)

-Cons for Dominica: We're pretty set to go home, though we don't really feel like we're sick of the island. We had spread the word to friends and family we would be in the US as of April, and letting go of that would be a little hard. Kyle doesn't have study materials for the Step, so somehow we would have to get those here, as well as more dress shirts and ties since Kyle will be dressing up almost every day. It's as hot as ever during the "summer" months and the hospital isn't air conditioned. Kyle would also have to commute 1 hour each way to Roseau, 4 times a week. Though this is of least importance, I was really looking forward to getting some new summer clothes, since I often pick up a shirt in the morning, and ask, "Did I wear this yesterday?," and decide to wear it, when in fact, I did wear it the day before. But, oh well mon, that's island life.

So I bring up all those facts because as Kyle had his quiet time Tuesday morning, the messages he got from the passages he read were to make sure you have all the information, and also to not be prideful. Well, we gathered up the facts but soon realized maybe the second part was a little true. See, when the Michigan site opened up for fifth semester, there was a buzz all around campus (gossip here is worse than in high school, trust me). Soon everyone was talking about it, and we soon found out that acceptance would be based on GPA and only a limited number of people would be accepted. God has blessed Kyle with the wisdom to have an awesome GPA, so we were excited Michigan was a potential for us. Well, soon people started to ask if we were headed to Miami, and when I replied, no we're planning on applying to Michigan, I was a little prideful. By saying that, I knew it said Kyle was doing well in school and we were able to go to Michigan when a lot of people couldn't. We really didn't even know much about the Saginaw program (Well, no one did because it is a pilot program this semester) but we were convinced because we were able to get in, and it was close to home, it was the best option....

Well that's where God used your prayers to open our eyes. We hadn't even considered Dominica. And as we did, the more appealing it came to be. Well, we talked about it Tuesday and then Wednesday we wake up and Kyle gets the email: Congratulations! You've been accepted into the Saginaw AICM Program!... and at the bottom it said we had to decide by midnight THAT NIGHT if we would like to accept. SO, basically, we're freaking out a little bit. We had to decide in less than 24 hours, AND the application for staying in Dominica is due this Friday.

So we spent the day praying, and talking to wise counsel... I tried to keep my mind off of it for a bit by baking bread, but I still thought about it. I was hoping by the time Kyle walked in that night, he would have just decided. Well, I laughed when I opened the door, and he walked in, and the first words out of his mouth were, " So where are we going?"

We talked one last time, and we knew we had to decide soon and let the people in Michigan know either yes or no... and as we talked, we both knew our decision before we said it:
We'll be in Dominica next semester!!!

If you would have told us that last semester, we would have said you you were crazy. But God often works in ways we would never predict, and also for our own good, though we might not initially see it that way. Yes, we'll definitely miss all of you back home until we come back in mid-August, but we know this is where we should be. And Ashley is pretty excited too, since from the beginning of the semester, she's asked Kyle to do "just this one little favor" and stay here for fifth. She said she's been praying for the past 4 months. Well, I guess it worked!

And anyway, we still need to work on our tans before we leave... :)

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Woo-hoo! Thanks for the favor! But I have to clarify - I was praying for y'all to go wherever would be best for y'all...and then I would quickly request that that place would be Dominica! :)

Czarina said...

I am SO happy for the both of you! I bet yesterday was tough day. It's amazing how God works!

I will miss you, though!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so very much for all the info on your decision in addition to all of the prayers, Since Kyle's accident I bet you are really glad!I'm so proud of you both! We'll miss seeing you in April but God is blessing you and performing miracles! Love, Grandmere

Anonymous said...

you've been tagged! check out my blog for further info!

(hey, it's a nice fun break from all the dominica posts!) :)